Importing a Vehicle to New Zealand from Japan
If you’ve purchased a vehicle in Japan and want to import it into New Zealand, let AUTOHUB handle the logistics for you.
The experienced team at AUTOHUB can handle every detail of shipping your vehicle to New Zealand from Japan. This includes picking the vehicle up from the Japan-based seller through to delivering it safely to your designated compliance centre – all for a fixed price.
Autohub Services We Provide:
AUTOHUB offers a comprehensive Door to Door (D2D) service for vehicles being imported from Japan to New Zealand.
Our service includes:
- A Gate-In survey and photos in Japan when we take control of the vehicle
- MPI (BioHazard) inspection and cleaning
- Heat treatment (where applicable)
- NZTA border inspection
- Odometer check
- Japan Port Service Charges
- BAF (Bunker Fuel Charges)
- Payment of NZ Port Service Charges
- The organisation of NZ Customs Clearance
- Delivery of vehicle to a local compliance centre
- Full insurance while the car is in our care.
For vehicles over 20m3 you must give Autohub exact dimensions of the vehicle and we will be able to proceed with a quote from there.
How We Help with Used Vehicles Compliance Requirements
Are you planning on buying vehicles in Japan to import to New Zealand? It pays to first check whether vehicles imported meet New Zealand used vehicle import regulations, as these may differ from Japan’s vehicle approval process.
New Zealand has strict compliance requirements to ensure used passenger vehicles meet local import rules and regulations. This applies if you also wish to import heavy vehicles. Compliance requirements include:
- Age restrictions. Passenger vehicles must not be more than eight years old.
- Emissions standards. Imported motor vehicles must meet government required safety emissions standards. All vehicles, including class mc vehicles entering NZ must meet these safety and emission requirements. Entry certifiers check the vehicle’s compliance with emissions standards on behalf of the legal owner by assessing a vehicle for registration for use on NZ roads.
- Safety requirements. The vehicle manufactured must meet legal safety requirements, including NZ’s approved frontal impact standard, approved brake standards, electronic stability control, and the vehicle complies with all other safety regulations. Testing can only be done by only approved testing stations.
- Biosecurity clearance. Acceptable proof must be provided that motor vehicles are clear of biosecurity contaminants to prove compliance.
If you want to discuss the latest regulations to ensure a vehicle complies, including for parallel imported new vehicles, we recommend talking to a compliance centre for the vehicle imported, as they’ll have the most up-to-date set of regulations for you to follow. They’ll also be able to provide a quote for compliance certification once the car arrives in New Zealand, so you have a completion inspection certificate showing.
We have a direct relationship with a compliance centre and approved testing stations here in New Zealand and encourage you to contact them if you have any questions.
Comprehensive Insurance Covers
Customers who choose to import vehicles from Japan to New Zealand with our D2D package will benefit from comprehensive insurance coverage.
- Your car will be covered under Institute Cargo Clause A. This provides cover for all risks associated with loss or damage to the vehicle. It commences from when AUTOHUB takes care and control of your vehicle.
- Insurance cover will continue during transit, right until it is delivered to the first nominated local delivery address in New Zealand as supplied.
- Insurance covers total loss, collision damage, and fire and theft of non-modified, driveable, road-going vehicles and items only.
You can learn more about our comprehensive insurance cover here.